Chemical formula: C6H5COOH
International name: Benzoic acid, BP 2000
CAS No: 65-85-0
Appearance: white crystalline powder
Packing: 25 kg
Storage: Store in a dry, well-ventilated area
Benzoic acid (benzolkarbonovaya acid) and its ethers are contained in essential oils (eg, clove) and toluanskom Peruvian balsam, benzoin.
The main industrial process for producing a benzoic acid: liquid phase oxidation of toluene with air at 130-160 ° C and a pressure of 308-790 kPa. Benzoic acid can also be obtained by hydrolysis benzotrichloride S6N5SS13 or benzonitrile.
Benzoic acid and its salts have a high bactericidal and bacteriostatic activity, increasing sharply with decreasing pH. Due to these properties, as well as nontoxic -benzoic acid
• as a preservative in the food industry (0.1% acid supplement to sauces, pickles, fruit juices, jams, minced meat and others.)
• as an antiseptic in medicine (mainly in dermatology)
• in perfumes and cosmetics
• in the production of phenol, caprolactam, benzoyl chloride,
• as an additive in alkyd varnish, improves gloss, adhesion, hardness and chemical resistance of the coating, and others.