Synonyms: hexamethylenetetramine, hexamine, urizol, methenamine
Chemical formula: (CH2) 6N4
International name: METHENAMINE
CAS No: 100-97-0
Appearance: white crystalline powder
Packing: bags of 25 kg
Storage: Store in ventilated area, in isolation from any ignition sources and oxidizers
Hexamine (hexamethylenetetramine, hexamine, urizol, methenamine) - colorless crystals. Sublimated in a vacuum. Soluble in water, forms a monohydrate is stable at temperatures below 14 ° C. Also soluble in chloroform, methanol, ethanol. Poorly soluble in benzene, ether, carbon tetrachloride.
Hexamine nitration with fuming nitric acid in the presence of ammonium nitrate and acetic anhydride formed RDX.
In industry, methenamine (hexamine) was obtained by evaporation under vacuum the mixture of formaldehyde and ammonia:
4NH3 + 4CH2O -> C6H12N4 (urotropine) + 4H2O
Methenamine (hexamine, urizol, hexamethylenetetramine) applies
• in pharmacy and pharmacology, as a drug (eg, methenamine, calcex), antiseptic;
• curing phenol-formaldehyde resins;
• as a corrosion inhibitor; fungicide;
• as a starting material in the production of explosives
• in the production of cosmetics,
• household chemicals,
• in the food industry (for example, in the production of eggs), and others.